This position will manage and lead a team of people in allocating
workload and managing the day to day operations in the workshop. It
requires the job holder to co-ordinate resources and liaise with internal
and external key contacts to ensure work is delivered on time and to a
Reports to: Managing Director.
• Responsible for job allocation and job flow in the workshop including job scheduling
and labour allocation for day to day operations.
• Co-ordinate resources, (operational and human) schedules and activities to
effectively manage jobs.
• Ensure supplies are ordered for each job.
• Assist with quoting, project management, materials purchasing and quality checks.
• Ensure correct job numbers are used and that time records are correct.
• Provide oversight and check job estimates.
• Manage inward goods, checking quantities, dispatching goods and receipting
• Regularly report progress on each job and quickly communicate delays or concerns
with the Director – Operations. Report on manpower overruns or shortfalls.
• Act as a technical adviser on key projects and other areas of the business as
• Work with the Director – Operations to respond to client’s requests for updates on the
status of their jobs and keep the communication channels open to ensure information
• Identify client’s needs and explain/demonstrate AMS’s services to them, which may
involve technical descriptions of products and the way they may be used.
• Receive and review feedback from customers and follow up to ensure customer
• Work with the Directors to investigate customer complaints and concerns arising from
products and suggest appropriate solutions. Discuss with team to identify
appropriate course of action.
• Develop and implement systems to record, file and store information pertaining to
• Identify staff that require on-going training and implement training opportunities to
ensure their skills are improved. Work with apprentices and semi-skilled staff to role
model appropriate technical skills.
• Provide feedback to staff that are not performing to the expected level and ensure
human resources are informed of trends in performance.
• Promote a Health and Safety culture within the business.
Skills and Experience:
• Engineering Trade Qualification preferably Fitter Turner or Fitter Welder or equivalent
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work with people at various levels from shop floor to senior management
• Can look beyond the initial customer enquiry and identify other business
• CAD drawing skills are an advantage but not essential
• Project management experience
• People management skills
• Computer literacy with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel
• Quality and productivity focussed